OSTEOFIT is a BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre certified exercise, education and falls prevention program for individuals with osteoporosis, low bone density or who are at risk of fractures and falls. Exercise is a proven effective treatment option for people with osteoporosis in combination with medication and nutrition.
OSTEOFIT is medically endorsed and based on published research. It is designed and updated by clinical specialists from BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre’s Osteoporosis program. For more information on Osteoporosis, click on this link to the Osteoporosis Program. OSTEOFIT instructors are specially trained and certified by BC Women’s Hospital.
OSTEOFIT aims to provide safe and gentle exercises for individuals with minimal previous exercise experience.
- Exercise can modify some fall risk factors and thus reduce falls in older adults
- A physically active lifestyle is associated with a reduced risk of osteoporotic fracture.
The goals of OSTEOFIT are to:
- Reduce an individual’s risk of falls and fractures
- Improve an individual’s ability to do day-to-day activities
- Increase an individual’s confidence and independence
- Improve an individual’s quality of life
Participants do NOT need a physician’s referral. Some participants may require medical clearance from a Physician or Nurse Practitioner. This will be determined by the OSTEOFIT instructor at the first class.
Get Up & Go!
This exciting adaptation of Osteofit is directed to those with mobility impairments who require walking aids and are at increased risk for falls. Get Up & Go! was developed at the request of Fraser Health Falls and Injury Prevention for those unable to attend a community based fitness class. It is designed to improve joint mobility, functional strength, balance and coordination in a small group setting. Many Health Care providers refer their patients to Get Up & Go! but other individuals do not need a referral. Medical Clearance may be required.
Criteria to participate:
- May use a mobility aid such as a walker, cane, wheelchair or scooter.
- Must be able to transfer to a chair. If unable to do so independently, a care giver must attend.
- Must be able to follow directions through verbal or physical gestures with or without the help of a care giver.
- Not able to safely participate in a community class due to physical and/or cognitive concerns.
- Must have transportation to/from the class.
- Must commit to a minimum of 1 session per week for 6 weeks.
Costs to participate apply. Contact the facility for registration details.
Get Up & Go! is taught by Osteofit Instructors who have taken additional training. The program can be found in many Seniors' Centres in the lower mainland, Victoria, Gabriola Island and Kelowna.
Find a class near you.