OSTEOFIT is a BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre certified exercise, education and falls prevention program for individuals with osteoporosis, low bone density or who are at risk of fractures and falls. Exercise is a proven effective treatment option for people with osteoporosis in combination with medication and nutrition.
OSTEOFIT is medically endorsed and based on published research. It is designed and updated by clinical specialists from BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre’s Osteoporosis program. For more information on Osteoporosis, click on this link to the Osteoporosis Program. OSTEOFIT instructors are specially trained and certified by BC Women’s Hospital.
OSTEOFIT aims to provide safe and gentle exercises for individuals with minimal previous exercise experience.
- Exercise can modify some fall risk factors and thus reduce falls in older adults
- A physically active lifestyle is associated with a reduced risk of osteoporotic fracture.
The goals of OSTEOFIT are to:
- Reduce an individual’s risk of falls and fractures
- Improve an individual’s ability to do day-to-day activities
- Increase an individual’s confidence and independence
- Improve an individual’s quality of life
Participants do NOT need a physician’s referral. Some participants may require medical clearance from a Physician or Nurse Practitioner. This will be determined by the OSTEOFIT instructor at the first class.